Subject: Re: Another obit, this one is important
From: Lloyd Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:58:10 -0700

Thank you for this notice.  Thomas H. Connell III deserves our gratitude and our remembrance.

The stage manager is as important as the conductor in making sure the production goes on with grace and sureness.  All theatre productions use some form of stage manager but the SM for opera must be a jack of all trades.  As the article states, he must be able to read a musical score, be intimate with stage events and how they are cued by the musical score including lighting cues, sound cues, movement of stage machinery, entrances of singers, chorus, children, animals etc. etc. and he or she need sufficient knowledge of the languages of opera to be able to not only read what is needed but anticipate it in a locked in time frame.

Many theatre departments in colleges and universities have a major emphasis available in Stage Management but I know of none that offer a major in Stage Management for Music/Yheatre.   (By "Music/Iheatre" I mean all works for theatre in which music has a dominant or major significant part.  I do not mean only "musical theatre" or Broadway musical")

Lloyd W. Hanson