Subject: Re: Wackiest Opera plot?
From: Cecelia Schieve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:19:26 -0400

One of my favorites is Isle de Tulpatan by Offenbach. - a truly delightful,
WACKY one act.

Once upon a time on a small island, a high ranking official had to go with
his King to war often. His wife had a baby while he was away with the King,
and decided to raise their son as a girl to avoid having him grow up to
follow a military life.

Meanwhile, the Queen had a daughter while the King was away, and decided to
raise him as a boy so the King would have an heir. The two teenagers are
attracted to each other. Eventually both learn of their "true" gender and
express great joy - many things now explained and even more interested in
each other!

Cecelia