Subject: Re: Jonas Kaufmann as Don Jose
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:48:03 -0400

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:41:28 -0400, donald kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Why does every tenor have to be, hopefully, an Otello?
>May this one hold out at least as long as Bergonzi did.
>
>I'd rather see him as Hermann in Pique Dame, as Werther, or
>Andrea Chenier, or Dick Johnson.
>
>dtmk

To my certain knowledge, not "every tenor" is "hopefully, an Otello."  I
don't recall that being said about any of the tenor currently active at the Met.

THIS particular tenor (Kauffman), however, IS "hopefully" an Otello because
(1) great, and even good, Otellos are always in short supply, and (2)
Kaufmann sounds like he has the vocal requisites to be a fine Otello:
baritonal timbre, a ringing top, good musicianship, among other qualities.

And I, too, would like to see him in any of the roles you listed - except
perhaps Werther, and only because I despise both the opera and the
character.  Although conceivably, Kaufmann might make the whiner palatable
for once.  Like you, I hope Kaufmann doesn't tackle the Moor until he is
ready, if in his judgment he ever is.  That is why I said, "hopefully."
Which means, "hope," not "certainty."

MDW