Subject: Re: Magdalena Kozena
From: FRANCIS IMMLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Apr 2010 04:35:57 -0400

Sorry, folks, I have once again to disagree. This is one singer whose
NYC/Phila appearances I try not to miss.

I have seen Kozena three times at the MET, in Kat'a, Cosi, and Idomeneo -
she can be a riveting stage performer - and in several solo recitals. Also
with the BPhil at Carnegie and with the Philadelphia with Sir Simon - and
again with Rattle and the Philadelphia at Carnegie Hall last year in the
Damnation of Faust which (despite her cold) was, aurally, everything the
MET staging, visually, was not.

I knew Kozena first only from her glam DG solo recital CD's and was
entranced
with her voice - tangy, slightly hooded, but with an edge, a lighter-voiced
Valentini-Terrani, perhaps, though without the agility. Completely
individual and
wonderfully human. She's one of those few singers whom I instantly
recognize.
Then the Gardiner Bach cantatas, the Minkowski Handel/Bach sets. Then I
looked out her earlier Supraphon discs of Zelenka,
etc.

I think she is a truly wonderful singer. Not as consistent in concert as I
might like.
And her dress sense is decidedly her own, but I have grown to look forward
to what
weirdness she will appear in next.

She's not Lorraine Hunt Lieberson (who is?), but I very much look forward to
her Melisande
with her partner making his MET debut.

For me, it's a highlight of next year. And, as with Theresa, P&M is
increasingly one of my
favorites.
Frank/Princeton