Subject: Re: Bayreuth Continum (long)
From: Robert Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:34:21 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Lowenthal" <[log in to unmask]>

> It is of course meaningless to discuss Wagner's "complicity" in the Final
> Solution--although does anyone really suppose that had he lived, he would
> have been anything less than an avid supporter of Hitler?

Yes, I do!  He was anti-semitic for certain, and he was very clear and
up front about it, but he was also something approaching an anarchist in
his political beliefs, certainly very iconoclastic in his feelings about
authority figures, and I do believe that had he been alive
during the Third Reich he would have, at worst, been acquiescent in his
approach, something like - I have to live with it and I won't be
inconvenienced by it, but I'm damn well not going to be a propagandist
for them.  We'll never know, but based on the totality of the man's
personality and intellect, I believe he would been repelled by
the excesses of those years, not necessarily out of any love for the
victims, but out of disgust with totalitarian intrusion into all
aspects of German life at that time.

I could very well be wrong, but it is definitely not an open and
shut case.

Bob