Subject: Re: Opera Singer Feuds
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:10:21 EDT

Schwarzkopf and Della Casa - that one was real.

Caruso and Bonci  also very real - Caruso feared Bonci especially  early in
his career.

Adelina Patti and Christine Nilsson

Adelina Patti and Ilma De Murska (not as well remembered)

Lilli Lehmann and Lillian Nordica  (the photo that Lehmann hilariously  and
sarcastically inscribed to Nordica "To Lillian Nordica who has made so
much progress.." can be seen at the Nordica Homestead museum, or could be, is
the museum still up and running?)

Maria Malibran and Henrietta Sontag (like the Callas/Tebaldi so called
feud, this was hyped up, but it was real, I've seen a remarkable letter that
Malibran wrote to Sontag...)

Farinelli and Caffarelli

But I would say the most virulent and most significant feud in  opera
history between singers, the one that is immortalized in The Beggar's  Opera and
later The Threepenny Opera was between the Handel divas: Francesca  Cuzzoni
and Faustina Bordogni who had a hair pulling fit onstage.

James Camner