Subject: ARTISTS' EVENTS!!
From: Bob Dilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:54:07 +0100

Forsooth Opera Lovers!

Today we can celebrate the birthdays of:

Mary Costa (1932)
Ludwig Spohr (1784-1859)
Albert Roussel (1869-1937)
Herbert von Karajan (1908-1959)

Also, Strauss Jr's "Die Fledermaus" premiered on this date in 1874.

Let us remember Carlo Tagliabue (1898-1978) and Mischa Elman
(1891-1967) who passed away on this date.

The quote for today is: "Students are prone to lose sight of the
nature of their instrument as a medium second only to the human
voice as expressive of tonal beauty. I would place strong stress on
impressing pupils with the fact that the violin is a singing
instrument- appreciation of its musical function should be
cultivated and they should not be carried away by dazzling
display."  Mischa Elman.

As always, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our birthday artists for today
and all forum members who share their birthday with them.

ARTISTS' EVENTS salutes these artists for their enduring
contributions to the world of classical music.

In memory of the following first rate artists:

Tenor of all tenors Enrico Caruso (25 February 1873-2 August 1921)
Primo tenore Jussi Bjoerling (5 February 1911-9 September 1960)
Coloratura stupenda Beverly Silla (25 May 1929-2 July 2007)
Soprano prima donna Elisabeth Rethberg (22 September 1894-6 June 1976)
Contralto assoluta Gladys Swarthout (25 December 1900-7 July 1969)
Baritone unparalleled Robert Merrill (4 June 1917-23 October 2004)
Basso profundo Fernando Corena (22 December 1916-26 November 1984)
Distinguished virtuoso Mischa Elman (20 January 1891-5 April 1967)
Preeminent conductor Wilhelm Furtwangler (25 January 1886-30 November 1954)

Pace e Gioia,

Bob Dilley
GAUDEAMUS IGITUR