Subject: Aida at the Met - great singing, scenery faulty.
From: Andrew Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:48:45 -0400

Aida Friday 26th March 2010 8pm. The Metropolitan Opera

Dear Colleagues,

It was a pleasure to be joined by my father and brother at this Met
performance with a new cast and conductor.  We were fair bowled over by the
incomparable quality and power of the show which was one of the high points
of my opera-going experience.  Chinese soprano Hui He made her Met debut
and she proved to be a dramatic and vocal force to be reckoned with.  She
has done Turandot in Italy.  The voice is large and well placed with an even
production (happily there was no triumphal E flat attempted!).  Her expressive
diminuendos, portamento and soft high singing were exemplary.  Not to be
outdone, Salvatore Licitra sang the most creditable Radames I have heard in a
long time.  He sang Celeste Aida conquering the pianissimo ending which is
written but which few tenors can manage.  His dramatic portrayal was
superb.

But perhaps the star of the night was Dolora Zajick (and some say the opera
should be called ‘Amneris’).  Her strong mezzo voice was again in evidence.
Carlo Guelfi was also a fitting if slightly rough Ethiopian king.

Stefan Kocán was a suitable Pharaoh who leads the patriotic concerted
piece ‘Su del Nilo’.  As Ramfis Carlo Colombara was more than adequate.

Conductor Marco Armiliato kept the orchestra producing wonderful music at
sympathetic paces.  There is obviously chemistry happening in the pit unlike
what happened on the La Traviata opening on Monday 29th March under
Leonard Slatkin.  On that night, as well as singers missing beats, I noted three
brass players returning mid-act to miss a cue, an almost unforgivable lapse,
like a sailor missing the boat.

Enough has been said and written about the magnificent Met Aida
extravaganza directed by Sonja Frisell.  All I can add is that despite their
imposing nature the sets by Gianni Quaranta contain a major error.  They all
look well aged, despite the opera taking place in royal palaces and temples of
one of the great waring dynasties (18th most likely).  The columns, capitals,
walls, hieroglyphics and other architectural detail each look just like the
Egyptian items at the Metropolitan Museum.  Yet in reality they would have
been bright coloured and fresh, perhaps with gilding, lapis and ebony
decoration.  Of course we are all more familiar with the faded sepia tones,
broken statues, incomplete cartouches, etc, so I am being picky.

I happened to spy Atlanta tenor Lawrence Brownlee in the foyer recently.  He
had been supporting Met debut of colleague tenor Mr James Valenti.  I
complimented him on his excellent recent Met Almaviva and would eagerly
await hearing (if not seeing live) the Armida with Ms Fleming.  I also expressed
the hope that he might come 'down-under' some time as we were short of
tenors … to which he replied that he had heard that our Australian opera
company no longer took overseas artists.  Now I wonder where he could have
heard that?  Sadly it is largely true.  This is 'small town', 'tall poppy' and ‘false
economy’ syndrome all rolled into one.

Many Australian subscribers who have heard great opera at home in the past
or overseas must be seriously reconsidering their expensive and average
quality local opera-going experience.  Contrary to their mission statement,
much of the repertoire of the national company is not “opera” at all
nowadays.  Musicals, G&S and experimental works often dominate the “opera”
of their title.  And the average prices in Sydney are far higher than the Met.
The Met has about 1000 balcony/circle seats between $26 and $85 and over
100 standing positions for even less, all with excellent acoustics and sight-
lines.  In the Sydney Opera House ‘D’ reserve was abolished quietly a few
years ago and standing room is now severely restricted due to fire laws …
hence we have lost an important cheap “gateway” for young people to learn
about opera.  *Shame* on national opera ‘management’ in Australia!  I can
only hope that things are different in Melbourne which has a larger theatre to
accommodate their opera goers.

Comments by Andrew Byrne ..

Opera blog: http://www.redfernclinic.com/opera/critique/blog/

Travel, food, etc: http://ajbtravels.blogspot.com/