Subject: Today's Broadcast of Aida
From: David Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Apr 2010 22:48:17 +0100

Quite frankly this was awful.  Perhaps, visually, it was good and hence the
applause but vocally it was pretty dire.  I thought Licitra was bad when I
saw him in Forza in '04 and Tosca in '07 at Covent Garden but today was even
worse.  Guelfi should have given up long ago.  I have only seen him on stage
for two performances of Luisa Miller in '03.  He was not good then and even
worse today.  He has no line, he sang notes which weren't in the score,
wobbled all over the place (as did the King) and sounded very over-parted.
I have heard better than He but I have also heard worse.  She has a very
fast vibrato which I think will become a big wobble before long.

And as for the sopranos in the chorus, what a matronly, wobbly sound.
Perhaps the Met should do what Covent Garden did at the time the house
closed for the redevelopment and get rid of a lot of the chorus.  Leave a
core who remain by virtue of vocal ability rather than number of years
served and use extra chorus for the big operas such as Aida.  This seemed
cruel at the time of the house's closure but it did pay dividends and the
Covent Garden chorus has been wonderful ever since.

Regards,

David