Subject: Today's Death on the Nile
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Apr 2010 17:21:07 -0400

Until she started her imitation of the Flat Iron Building, I thought Hui He
OK, my biggest criticism being lack of chest tone in "Ritorna Vincitor".
But, then....ship wreck.

Why does Licitra need to swing for a home run everytime he opens his big
fresser?  And, what the devil was he attempting at the end of "Celeste
Aida"??  Basta, already - and, to think DelMonaco was crucified for his
naturally hige voice.

Vocally, Zajick is still phenomenal, but she has never learned to ingest
some garlic. olive oil & oregano (i.e., ITALIAN spice) to flavor her dull,
bland interpretations.

Guelfi has been ill, so I'll refrain.....

Best thing about this performance was a steady, exciting tempo maintained by
Maestro Armilliato.

Unfortunately, this work should be retired, as there has been no
satisfactory Aida since the great Aprile Millo retired the role.

Still, the greatest, unsurpassed performance of Aida I ever saw was a Sunday
evening non-subscription at Old Met around 1965 w/Rysanek in superb voice,
Bergonzi,  Simionato & Colzani - that was one for the record books.

DonPaolo