Subject: Re: CLOSINGS (was MET wednesday eve)
From: "Bruce B. Reynolds" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Feb 2010 00:26:50 EST

In a message dated 2/9/2010 9:44:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Date:    Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:49:00  -0500
From:    [log in to unmask]

>I had tickets for the Sills/Thais performance  that night (the blizzard of
>1978).  By luck, I had two tickets,  front row, in the center box, Grand
>Tier.

>My problem  was that I was to fly in from Boston.  Not only was Logan
>Airport  closed down due to the storm, but marshall law was declared,
>army  personnel were called out, and street travel prohibited (under
>threat of  arrest) except for emergency vehicles.  Obviously, there was
>absolutely no way that I could get to the Met for the performance.   The
>Met, generous as always, refused to refund me the price of my  tickets,
>saying that the declaration of marshall law in Boston was my  problem
>and not theirs. Have always had a warm and fuzzy feeling for the  Met
>over that incident.   :)

It's "martial" law, Ray. Marshal (only one "l") is the person with the
badge.
Although the blizzard led to the governors of the states (at least MA,  RI,
and CT) each declaring a state of emergency and calling out their
respective National Guards for emergency service, I don't believe that
you will find that martial law was declared, in which the military assumes
full control of the civilian population of an area. The civilian
governments
did not give up control during the blizzard period: the National Guard
troops
were enforcing civilian edicts during the emergency. If such an edict
was violated, the troops might make an arrest, but the violator would  be
turned over to civilian authority, and not remain in military  control.

During Katrina, the governor of Louisiana (which does not have a
state "martial law" law on its books) declared a state of  emergency
based on the breakdown of the control of public health by the civil
authority in New Orleans, and the National Guard commander
was given authority over the city.

Note that martial law is a state function, with proclamation by
a governor and execution by the National Guard. The only Federal
declaration of martial law was done in the Civil War, and the
reaction to that led to the prohibition of the use of active duty
troops for police activities, the posse comitatus laws, which is
why you might see soldiers searching for a lost child, but not
for an escaped prisoner.

YMMV

Bruce B. Reynolds, Trailing Edge Technologies, Warminster  PA