Subject: Re: The Alvarez Domingo Nonsense
From: "Sklenar, Robert John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Feb 2010 18:28:51 -0500

I agree. I thought Domingo gave a fine performance, despite his less-than-ideal vocal color; the same goes for Fischer-Dieskau's Dutchman and Amfortas, to say nothing of Victoria de los Angeles's Carmen. The silliest argument of all is that Domingo is displacing a young singer by singing Boccanegra. Since when is that a young man's role, apart from the prologue? Should we cast two different baritones, a young one for the prologue and a mature one for the rest of the opera?

-Robert

rsklenar @[log in to unmask]