Subject: Measha, Marcello and Musetta
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:12:04 -0500

As several of us have noted, Measha has shed a great deal of weight
and looks freakin' gorgeous (actually, she was still pretty gorgeous in
her plus size days).  She made the news last year with her

As to what she's doing, we have this thing called the internet and a
quick Google will whisk one away to Miss Brueggergosman's web site
where she's happy to tell you (in her phrasing "What's Up?"  She has a
new Deutsche Grammophon recording ready for release this year,
songs by Mozart, Strauss, de Falla,

Performances operatic seem to be, at least for now, on hold as
Measha is in production as host of a new television show on German
television's "Arte" network.  It appears to be a variety/talk show
on "all spectrums of the arts" from worlds of opera and classical music,
to jazz, rock, dance, fashion and comedy.

Her concert and recital schedule looks pretty impressive for the
upcoming year, however.  Many major orchestra assignments, (The
Cleveland Orchestra, Cincinnati, Vancouver, The Netherlands) singing
Les nuits d'été, the Wesendonck Lieder, the Mahler 8th, Ravel's
Shéhérazade. Then recitals throughout German and Luxembourg with
pianists, Leif Ove Andsnes, Marc Andre Hamelin, Justus Zeyen, singing
works of Copland, Mahler and Bolcolm.

In July she sings Carmen in Venezuela with Sir Simon Rattle conducting
the Orquesta Sinfónica Simón Bolívar.

It's not all opera, but she is one busy (and amazing) gal!

Theresa wrote:  "I'm a huge sucker for Marcello and Musetta. ;)  I wish
there was an opera about them!"

There is!  Leoncavallo's "La Boheme."

Though Mimi also dies at the end here (sorry for the spoiler!) Musetta
and her man are pretty much the central characters. It's fun to hear
the "mix up" from the men as here Marcello is a tenor (and whose big
aria was performed and recorded by no less than Caruso with the
composer accompanying) and casts Rodolfo as a baritone.  I remember
first hearing von Stade in her wonderful "Italian Opera Arias" LP
(never, I believe released on CD, and with the wonderful opener of
Monteverdi's "Di misera Regina" from "Il ritorno d'Ulisse in Patria")
singing Musetta's big aria . . . and wishing, praying and hoping against
hope that SOMEBODY would mount a production of this opera for her!
Helas . . .

p.
http://SharkOnArts.blogspot.com
"You'll stop worrying what others think about you once you realize
they don't."