Subject: Re: Domingo's Conducting Skills
From: Sergio da Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:31:13 -0500

I'm not sure about #1. A a professional musician in an orchestra which has
many different conductors as a guest, said Domingo is a good conductor, he
said "at least he can count", so specifically about maintaining tempo, he
said many much more famous conductors can't count.
I heard him conduct many times and I have to confess it never bothered me,
I've been bothered by other conductors some more famous.
There is a very good article on Opera News about singers as conductors:

http://www.metoperafamily.org/operanews/issue/article.aspx?id=1228&issueID=49&archive=true

One thing I do agree is it takes time and Domingo is super busy, maybe when
he retires from singing he can perfect this other craft. The other thing is
his posture is still too rigid, not very relaxed as you correctly put.