Subject: Re: Tenor Marcel Alvarez critizizes Domingo
From: Ken Meltzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:50:04 -0500

I, for one, wish you had spent at least half as much time addressing Mr. da
Silva's request for specific proof in support of your allegations as you did
expressing righteous indignation.  That might have been of use in this
discussion.
I'm not saying that you don't have those facts in your possession.  But the
fact that you chose not to share them when requested is rather telling, I think.
Best,
Ken

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:04:21 -0500, Kira <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Actually, I don't hate Domingo at all.  I have lots of his CDs and many of
my introductions to operas were through his performances.  He ranks up there
among my top tenors (at least he did in his prime).  But this isn't about
Domingo the performer, it is about Domingo the power behind the scenes.

>So, where did I say I hated Domingo?  I didn't.  I simply indicated that
people like you (apparently), who seem to champion this tenor or any other
singer for the sake of championing, are missing the politics at play in the
world of opera.  I have no doubt that ANY singer who becomes a leading name
on billboards around the world have done many things those of us in the
cheap seats would question if we knew about them--indeed, we might well be
horrified at the machinations.  Domingo is no different.  That's not hate;
that's reality.

>Or are you saying that because he is one of your favorites he is beyond
reproof in any manner?  That he has never made any sort of decision in his
career that could have done damage to another?  Or do you simply prefer not
to recognize that all big business is by design messy and dirty?

>So, once more, how does stating what should be obvious--that opera is a
business--equate to my hating Domingo?

>Or is that the knee-jerk reaction of everyone who idolizes the man toward
anyone who questions any aspect of his life or career?  Is it the same sort
of response that any post about Domingo which doesn't rave about his
performance or him as an individual receives?  Can't those of you for whom
Domingo is the beginning and ending of all opera approach in a more
balanced, intellectual way that simply dropping back and name calling?

>Reality bites, doesn't it?  But if you want to believe in the tooth fairy
and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and that everyone in opera is
best buddies and never does anything suspect, good luck with that.  I guess
you have proven delusion is part of the Domingo myth.

>Domingo is a man, not a god, and he does not represent perfection here on
earth either as a singer or an administrator or a musician.  We can and
should examine both his artistry, his professional activity and his public
life and be able to discuss openly and without slurs and slams.  Not,
however and alas, with you it seems.

>Best wished,
>Kira

you wrote or you are deluding yourself.