Subject: Distinctive voices
From: Greg Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Feb 2010 06:44:06 -0800

Bergitas here.

When it comes to distinctive voices, three immediately come to mind:

Regine Crespin.... huge voice yet womanly in every way. . . . I hear it for two and a half seconds and I know it's her. . . and nobody comes close to that very particular sound of hers.

Gwyneth Jones....  huge voice with tremendous thrust, yet also a very warm voice. . .  and of course a bit of a wobble which sometimes could be a terrible wobble. . . again, a voice unlike any other, whether or not you happen to like it. . .

Jon Vickers..... It might have been Alan Blythe who wrote that Vickers really shouldn't even be called a tenor because the voice was like no other tenor the world had ever heard before - or has heard since..... the extraodinary depth and grandeur of the voice itself, as well as the highly distinctive expressive stamp of his singing. . .

Honorable mentions include Rysanek, Arroyo, te Kanawa, Sutherland, Scotto, Stratas, Bumbry. . . but for me Crespin, Jones, and Vickers are the most distinctive voices of them all.

bergitas
greg berg
racine,wi
web.mac.com/gregory.berg