Subject: L.A. L' Elisir (9/12/09) short version
From: Miguel A Devirgilio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:50:27 -0700

Today I'm lazy.Ill only review the principal singers

Nemorino:Giuseppe Filianoti
Adina:Nino Machaidze
Dulcamanra: (replacing R. raimondi) Giorgio Caoduro
Belcore; Nathan Gunn

Filianoti. This the 3rd time I hear Filianoti live. My overall impression
is that he has all the attributes for a stellar career:
a beautiful timbre, a consistent ringing voice from top to bottom and
excellent stage presence and above average histrionics.
However, he is not yet a consistent singer. He showed signs of that at his
 Edgardos at the Met and San Francisco.
On this occasion those flaws were kept to a minimum.His first utterances
betrayed a lack of warm up in the upper register.
My other favorite Elisir Tenor aria is  "Quanto e Bella",that I use as a
base to calibrate the tenor. Mr. Filianoti  failed to erase memories
of recent Nemorinos (Alagna for example).
I was the feared "Una Furtiva Lagrima" that exposed Mr. Filanoti's
weaknesses. He tried unsuccessfully a "messa di voce" but in the process
he lost the support and  what came out that ,was a whisper. He recovered
and decided to sing full out that is what he does best.
I should add in his defense that his voice has the one that had most
presence of  all the principals, including Dulcamara.

Nino Machaidze
My first time hearing her live. A-PLUS in the looks department!
Utill  the long duet with Dulcamara in the last act, I couldn't make any
positive comment about her singing.
Definitely underpowered even in the high register and with not any
distinctive voice quality.
That changed in the above mentioned scene, where she displayed coloratura
qualities that justifies all the hype
behind her, specially in the Opera blogs. Definite not a Lucia at this
time.
Not a competition for Netrebko yet.
Caoduro
First time  also hearing him live. I was looking forward to hear Raimondi
live for the first time.
But this 28 years old Italian base-baritone pass the Dulcamara' test with
flying colors. Not a particularly big voice, but with
a beautiful timber (a quality that appreciate in Raimondi).
In addition to their vocal contributions, Caoduro  and Filianoti   were
the main responsibles to keep happy those patrons who value acting over
singing

Gunn
To my ears the weakest link in this production . Definite underpower, even
when he was singing solo with a modest orchestra support

Miguel de Virgilio