Subject: Re: Wonderful interview with Sondra Radvanovsky
From: Kirsten Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:24:15 -0700

I quite enjoyed the OC's insightful interview with Radvanovsky including the
very important questions on her workout regime and what to wear at the
tomorrow evening's gala. :) I went to the final dress rehearsal of Trovatore
in San Francisco Tuesday evening and even among the distinguished cast
including Blythe and Hvorostovsky, it was Radvanovsky's Leonora that just
blew us away. I heard her live only once as Suor Angelica and I cherish the
recording bits of her Rusalka but it's my first time hearing her signature
Leonora live. She's not as well-known here as in NYC so it was nice to see
audience gasping at the beauty of her floating pianissimi then after a
moment to control ourselves, bursting into the loudest bravas.

Interesting to hear her describing the rapport with Hvorostovsky as that of
"brother and sister". I thought his handling of her was quite violent and
they must feel very comfortable in working with each other to get away with
it. In fact wasn't she one of the first guests Hvorostovsky brought to
Russia for his annual concert event? (Forgot what it's called - I want to
say "Dmitri and Friends" but I am probably wrong)

(With the names like Radvanovsky, Hvorostovsky and new Polish mezzo
Malgorzata Walewska they should hold a spelling bee contest of the cast
names after the performance.)

Looking forward to tomorrow's prima!!

Kirsten Lee