Subject: Re: Lehmann books
From: "c.j. kagel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:00:49 -0700

I have not yet read the later posts, so someone else may have mentioned this-- my favorite is FIVE OPERAS AND RICHARD STRAUSS.  I have read it any number of times in preparing for lectures on Strauss operas.  One Saturday, during a broadcast from the Chicago Lyric Opera, Roger Pines gave a most excellent talk on whatever Strauss opera was being broadcast that day.  A few days later I picked up the book and realized that he had merely read Lehmann's words -- without giving her any credit.

I have no idea whether he reads this list or not, but my respect for him certainly hit bottom when I realized his source.

Clare