Subject: Charles Rosenkrans
From: Val Suan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Sep 2009 02:44:12 -0700

It is with great sadness that I announce the passing last Tuesday, September 08, 2009 of CHARLES ROSENKRANS. Maestro Rosenkrans conducted the very first world premiere of Houston Grand Opera in Thomas Pasatieri's work, THE SEAGULL (to libretto by Kenward Elmslie based on Anton Chekhov's 1896 play) which featured the budding talents of Frederica von Stade,Catherine Malfitano and Richard Stillwell. Evelyn Lear also joined the cast which premiered at Jones Hall for the Performing Arts in downtown Houston on March 05,1974 directed by Frank Corsaro.

Mr. Rosenkrans started as the assistant to HGO's first General and Artistic Director, Walter Herbert in the late '60's I believe. When Maestro Herbert got busy with San Diego Opera, he gave Mr. Rosenkrans more conducting duties.

He also conducted several operas during his stint with HGO during the late 60's to the mid 80's I believe and among them was working with Beverly Sills in LUCIA DI LAMMERMOOR on March 30, 1971 with John Alexander at Jones Hall. He conducted mezzo-soprano Dolora Zajick's first solo compilation CD, Dolora Zajick-The Art of the Dramatic Mezzo-Soprano.  He also conducted operas in other notable houses, like San Francisco Opera and other international opera companies and symphony orchestras. He leaves behind some discography which I believe somebody posted here several months ago.

Mr. Rosenkrans was a longtime resident of the Montrose District in Houston,Texas.

I have not personally met or known Mr. Rosenkrans and relaying this message from a friend. I understand that there are some of you out there who remembered his artistic gifts.

A full obituary should be coming out in the local paper in the next few days and will update you.

VS