Subject: Re: Tosca Act I Exit Applause
From: Alexythymia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:43:18 -0400

I do think that Scotto is someone whose artistry one can be moved by
without being a fan of the voice, personality, so on.  Musetta I don't
know about, and I was kind of scarred by a late French arias disc and
a few other things, but I do think that hers is the greatest recorded
Mimi I've ever heard (lots of competition for that one, starting with
the VDLA/Beecham set, in my humble opinion, and the Cotrubas film).  I
really do think that there is something to be said for this *acting
with the voice,* which comes through on record regardless of what
mannerisms might have happened in the theatre.

On applause and on Floria T: while I'll cheerfully admit to this being
a favourite dead horse of mine, there are some insane and awesome
moments in a 1988 Caracas Tosca, thankfully caught on videotape for
posterity (or at least, I am thankful).  One comes at "Vittoria,
vittoria" (Aragall falls over.  The audience goes wild), and one comes
after "Perche, perche signor, ahhh--" --at which point the audience
starts clapping, and Neblett holds out her hand to stop them.
Definitely a party atmosphere.  I can't link YouTube at work, but I
cut both of them, and they're searchable there... highly amusing
stuff.

Thanks,

A.