Subject: Re: Tosca Act I Exit Applause
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:20:00 -0400

Isaac said:
"Scotto was ever a fine actress, I believe that had she not been able to sing a
note, she could have had a great career as an actress.  I can not remember
many female opera singers (Cotrubas and Stratas come to mind) and only a
few actresses who had her wonderful ability to convey the most delicate
feelings to the house."

Aside from this statement, I do tend to agree with the rest of your post.

However, I must say that I have felt some of Scotto's work to be phony
acting--more emoting than actually getting into the depth of the character--
(del Monaco fits that bill for me too), and I don't always find her sincere as I
do Olivero, Stratas, Soviero, Racette and Callas for example, particularly in her
later work.
For example, I recall a Musetta of hers on video which really annoyed me with
her ham acting--you may know the one I mean.

This from a person who really likes Scotto, despite some strident singing at
times, and appreciates what she has brought to many of her earlier roles.