Subject: Re: Tosca Act I Exit Applause
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:20:35 -0400

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 00:54:08 EDT, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>2.  Have other Toscas regularly gotten applause at this  first exit?  Or is
>Tebaldi unique in this?

I have certainly heard such applause several times; one could also call it applause for the
end of the extended love duet, since  (usually) Cavaradossi understandably also leaves
the stage for a belt of water or whatever, despite the stage directions: "Cavaradossi
rimane commosso e pensieroso".

I would not swear to the accuracy of this on a stack of Ricordi libretti, but as I recall the
Toscas I have heard applauded on their first exits have been Gilda Cruz-Romo at the Met,
Shirley Verrett at the Verona Arena, Makvala Kasrashvili at the Bolshoi, Aprile Millo at
Connecticut Grand Opera and also at the Met, and Lisa Daltirus at Opera Delaware and
(the late lamented) Connecticut Opera.

They were all substantial artists and singers in this role and deserved the applause.

Best- David Shengold