Subject: ATTN: Bill Clayton re: ""maestro"... I am puzzled by this use of the word".. here is a possible reason, at least, for me...
From: SUBSCRIBE OPERA-L H Kristman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:55:00 -0400

Dear Bill Clayton,

  Similarly to you, I was also puzzled in it's use, till "THAT" moment
arrived...

  Some years ago I had the most fortune of being introduced to Franco
Corelli at the old Caffe Taci near Columbia when I was residing in New York
City. Given that my introduction into this glorious aural medium was through
hearing his voice on the radio - and in spite of his advanced age - I was an
ABSOLUTE wreck regarding the introduction through a mutual friend, a
co-owner of "Taci", Leopoldo Mucci.

I asked Leopoldo, "How should I address him: Mr. Corelli... Franco... WHAT???"

Leopoldo urged me to address Franco Corelli as "maestro"... it was not
ignored - I might add, it was appreciated given what followed : though
Loretta wanted to make haste, he adorned my souvenir program from Vienna's
Tribute to Franco Corelli - which I attended in 1997 - with autographs on
two separate pages.

Since that moment, I have referred to him in these words and, consistent
with the post from Brad S. (btw, than you Brad S. for expounding on this
matter... I believe it to be most relevant :-)