Subject: La Sominex
From: Opera Bobb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Apr 2009 00:22:56 -0700

I had seen La Sonnambula 2 or 3 times before last night, including the mezzo
version sung by Flicka here in San Francisco about 1984. It invariably puts
me to sleep. Last evening, at the Met's encore of the Sonnambula simulcast,
I enjoyed this opera for the first time (and my wife too). The nearly packed
house (about 250) applauded and applauded and all the comments during and
after were positive. I thought that terrific Zimmerman production finally
brought Sonnambula to life. Even the readers of my newsletter have commented
positively.

And speaking of being alive, we were in NY on St. Patrick's Day and saw one
of the most lifeless Rusalkas imaginable. No energy whatsoever. Maybe it was
that dreary Schnieder-Siemssen set. We saw it here in San Francisco sometime
during the 90s.

Someone on this list, while praising this production, said the costumes made
the women look like true water nymphs. Of course, I'm no expert on what a
water nymph should look like, but three days later I saw my  14-year old
granddaughter McKenna wearing a dress identical to Rusalka's. As far as I
know, McKenna's not a water nymph, but I'll ask her mother.

Bob Brock, Emerald Hills, California