Subject: Re: Scene chewing vs. Stage Presence
From: Brian Newhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Apr 2009 17:28:04 -0400

On Apr 2, 2009, at 3:26 PM, [log in to unmask] asked about Boris
Christoff:

> Some of you did indeed feel he "chewed up the stage"' others felt he
> did NOT, but commented that he had an "incredible stage presence"
> and "No one could ever take his/her eyes off him while on stage."  I
> never saw him, unfortunately for me, but I just think from the voice
> alone, I would have been mesmerized.  What am I missing here?  It
> seems to me that if someone has "incredible stage presence" and "no
> one could take his/her eyes" off him, that seems to be "scene
> chewing" to me, an untrained novice.  Is there a difference?

They're diametrical opposites.  If you have so much stage presence
that you only have to appear onstage for nobody to be able to take
their eyes off of you, you don't have to make a meal of the scenery.
Contrariwise, there are those (we won't mention names) who chew up the
stage by all sorts of frantic antics, but blend into the background if
they're not doing anything.  As a young Clint Eastwood was once told
by an acting coach:  "Don't just do something; stand there."

Brian Newhouse
not to be confused with the radio announcer of the same name