Subject: Re: Vargas and Tone - was Re: L'Elisir
From: Clarissa Cheer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:16:29 -0400

Dear Ulrik, list,

Reading your comments below, I could not agree with you more. Ramon Vargas
proved himself as a fine bel canto singer long before he even got into roles
that some people did not think were suitable for his voice. I also thought
that his voice too small for the Met, but he seemed to have pulled off
several roles he sung there, and his La Boheme was fine with me. I loved his
Favorita from Mexico City back in '90s, and his L'Elisir d'amore with
Swenson at the Music Centre in LA. You could have heard a pin drop when he
was singing. I've heard many tenors sing this role and he is one of the
best. Listen to his recording L'amore L'amore. My goodness not a romantic
lead? For myself I think he is very romantic, he is handsome and has a
lovely smile - and even a cuddly appearance! Those latin looks go along way
with me, and with a lot of women I know. There was Del Monaco, Corelli. Now
Cura, Alvarez, Alagna all beside singing have loads of sex appeal which also
sells tickets.

Regards
Clarissa Lablache Cheer