Subject: Re: modern singers lack knowledge...
From: Tom Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:03:28 -0700

I think that in opera, as in any art or public arena, there are those who are in it because they love it.  These people "study" every recording they can get their hands on and love every second of it.  On the other hand, our world is full of people who just want to find a way to get attention and money.  If opera (or whatever) seems the shortest path, they'll take it.  These people think of themselves as "entertainers", above all.

A few of these people are sufficiently motivated as to put in the work necessary to develop their natural talent into a career.  Will the results (i.e. quality) be different for each of these "classes"?  Yes, probably.  But the differences will mostly be noticed by the people who have been listening with great passion for many years.  I can't even put myself in that category... yet!

-Tom

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money back."

-Representative Earl Pomeroy, Democrat, of North Dakota, on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses after a federal bailout.

"Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries."

-Douglas Casey

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."

- Kenneth Boulding