Subject: Re: tree
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:05:07 -0400

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Mark S. <[log in to unmask]> asked:

> But the libretto still must make some sense. From what does Siegmund pull the
> sword? The stove?

At last night's performance (btw, Otto Schenk had about 3 curtain calls and
received quite a lot of applause) I found myself being really moved by the drama
and the personal relationships presented.  I was wondering how could the Ring
setting be transposed in a way that it could be made "more" relevant to people
living in 21st century (and, sitting in the Dress Circle thanks to the courtesy
of a former coworker, my impression was that this is a more affluent crowd
than the Family Circle).

Issues of power, family hierarchy and forbidden relationships kept me thinking
of early 1930s movies.  These films sometimes mention abortion, divorce,
impossible relationships - it all sounds typical of today but must have been
much more scandalous in the 1930s.  And everyone is outfitted with lovely
costumes in luxurious looking houses that few people at that time could really
afford.

So perhaps an imaginative Ring production could take place at "The Valhalla" -
a high-rise luxury apartment building on Park Avenue (Wotan is evidently a
celebrity architect).  If you've read about one of those apartments you can
imagine a multi-room and perhaps multi-floor dwelling.

Hunding's hut could be transposed to a brownstone on a side street (maybe in
Hell's Kitchen or even the Lincoln Center of the 1930s).  Years ago
my family almost moved into a brownstone near the New School which had a
humongous vine growing on it.  So why can't the building be "attached" to a
tree?  Perhaps it's a tree whose foundations were so entrenched that removing
it would have endangered the house - hence Hunding built his "hut" (it's a hut
compared to a Park Avenue duplex) around the tree.  Walk around Greenwich
Village and you'll see a number of similar situations.

It might sound silly, but I think a lot of symbolic aspects of nature are lost
on most people (then again, I noticed that where I was sitting, almost no one
was looking at the Met Titles, so evidently we all knew the opera well enough).
Having the opera transposed to an urban environment might connect more with
current audiences.  And if they design really moving sets that convey force and
are even attractive to the eye, it might be a successful project.

     blog:  http://www.nypl.org/blogs/bob-kosovsky
   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users