Subject: Re: The Rape of Wagner’s Ring continues in Los Angeles.
From: Chris Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:27:41 -0400

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:17:50 +1000, Grant Smallacombe

>> Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 20:48:55 -0400
>> From: [log in to unmask]
>>
>> Sorry, but I require a tree in Act I
>
>Here, here!

I don't require a tree. I require a theatrical experience, tree or not.

That seems to be the dividing line on the list.

This was reinforced for me by a viewing of the Fleming opening night Met
gala, finally broadcast in Los Angeles this Sunday.

Dreary. Despite ostensibly following the dictates of the librettos, there
wasn't a moment, not a moment, of either Traviata or Manon that, to me, did
respect to either opera by presenting them as living theatrical experiences.
The Capriccio was a bit better, because simpler.

I had my problems with the Freyer "Rheingold," but I am hopeful to read from
others who did as well and have seen this "Walkure" that it is, overall, a
stronger presentation.

I do, however, require a gong in Turandot.

I also require cream pies in Parsifal.

C Mullins