Subject: Re: The lights are going out
From: william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:23:36 -0400

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:07:40 -0400, George Mott
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The lights are dimming in concert and recital halls.  I detest this
>practice.  Concerts and recitals are not theatrical performances.  Ideally
>the audience should participate in the music making and not be encouraged to
>sit in a state of inert passivity while the music washes over them.

I'd love to be able to participate in one of Bostridge's recitals.  That's why God
created tomatos.

>I have been attending concerts, chamber music and lieder recitals for close
>to 50 years and always armed with a score.

I hope that you sit in an area where following a score is appropriate.  I've
been unlucky enough to be seated next to people at BSO concerts who think
that it's appropriate to follow an orchestral score of a Mahler symphony,
turning pages every few seconds (most of them conduct, as well).  I find it
highly distracting, and no longer tolerate it.

Bill