Subject: Re: Cav tonight
From: Kirsten Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Apr 2009 19:25:44 -0700

I just got back from a short trip to NYC where since last Thursday I
attended Cavalleria, Pagliacci, Sonnambula, L'Elisir and Rigoletto.

Here's my two cents on Thursday evening's performance of Cav/Pag.

There was an announcement made before the performance that Jose Cura was
suffering from cold. I must confess I am not a big fan of Cura, perhaps
somewhat unfair since my only live experience of him was Don Jose 12-13
years ago that I didn't find particularly special.
Sick or not I enjoyed Cura's Turiddu in house quite a bit - starting with
offstage "O Lola che hai di latti" I thought the voice had good ping and
substantial weight. He didn't sound like he was having trouble hitting the
notes but he looked so sick when he came out that I felt so bad for him. He
would turn around and wipe his nose or quietly let out coughs whenever he
got a chance. It wasn't as if he was just having an itchy throat but sick as
if he was running a fever or shivering.

 When he came out for Pagliacci he sounded like a completely different
person, with much weaker and constricted sound. He zipped though vesti la
giubba in a hurried fashion - is this a conductor's decision or was he just
trying to get it over with as soon as possible? and only during the very
last scene Cura gained a bit of energy back but most of the Pagliacci he
sounded unwell and someone should have put him to bed with a cup of tea.
(But who can sub Canio on the fly?) Ildiko Komlosi was a fiery and exciting
Santuzza and for me definitely Cavalleria was more satisfying performance of
the two.

BTW - I was one of those victimized by texting at the Met.

I was unlucky enough to sit next to one of those non-stop texters during
Sonnambula - a young woman who had to pull out and look at her blackberry
every 10-15 min or so.
I wasn't able to stop her from continuing to text and I was soooo annoyed I
thought about taking her blackberry and throw it out but I was afraid of
hitting someone with it. A friend suggested that I carry a cat toy lazer
beam and just point that to the texters eyes until she turns it off. I am
not sure if I'll get it trouble for that but so far it seems that the ushers
at the Met do not care (I am not sure if they are even inside the auditorium
during the performance) and this is the kind of new crowd Gelb wants to get
I need to prepare a weapon of my choice for my next visit to the Met. Maybe
Gelb can send the text messages to the people who text while they text about
no texting during the performance.