Subject: Re: query: orchestrations for Wagner's Ring
From: Leslie Barcza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:46:25 -0400

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:30:29 -0400, A.C. Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>No one helped Wagner with the orchestration of any of his mature works.
They >were his and his alone, from sketch to fair copy.

I heard that Humperdinck had a hand in Parsifal, echoed by (for example)
this page, found when I googled "humperdinck help wagner parsifal":
http://www.classicalarchives.com/composer/2717.html#about.

  "indeed, Humperdinck worked as an assistant to the older master for a
   time, even providing extra music for a scene change in the premiere
   staging of Wagner's Parsifal in 1882. It is possible that Humperdinck's
   music remains, uncredited, as part of the score that has come down to
   posterity."

That doesn't make it so, but this isn't the first time I've heard the
allegation.  It's no shame for an old composer to have help. L'incoronazione
di Poppea was probably finished by someone else, not Monteverdi (which
breaks my heart, considering that duet's my favourite part of that opera).

      Leslie Barcza in Toronto    [log in to unmask]