Subject: Re: Das Rheingold Cycle One at the Met
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:49:57 EDT

I was also in house for this past Saturday's performance. Overall, I found
it to be a lackluster performance. This is my fifth go round with this
production and I wanted to see it one last time. As Jean had indicated, the  moment
before the prelude was extremely noisy. Where I was sitting in the  balcony, a
woman could be heard in an above average speaking voice. And when the  cell
phone went off during the prelude I just sat there in disbelief.

I'm not sure if it's a good sign when someone comes away from Rheingold
feeling that the best performances vocally were from Fasolt and Freia. I don't
think anyone sang poorly but I didn't find anyone overly impressive either.
While James Morris probably still gives the best characterization of Wotan
today, he certainly is not the singer he was twenty years ago. I wasn't too
enthusiastic about Kim Bagely's Loge, but he did improve over the course of the
performance. As others have said, the sets have held up well although some of
the colors have dulled a bit. There were also some orchestra miscues that I
don't recall happening before (e.g. Fafner killing Fasolt, Donner striking his
hammer).

And does anyone know why Richard Paul Fink did not have any face make up  on?
His Alberich looked very odd without it. Also, was this the first time Loge
had a different costume? I don't ever recall seeing him sporting a red
flame-like wig. He reminded me of Heat Miser from The Year Without a Santa  Claus.

I'm also very upset to hear about the cast changes for Brunnhilde  as Brewer
was the main reason I selected Cycle One. I'm not familiar  with Theorin but I
know some good things have been said about her. As  for Dalayman, I found her
Isolde earlier this season to be underpowered and  uninspired so hopefully
she'll be in better shape for the finale.

Zot

recession.