Subject: Re: Villason (now Freni)
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:49:55 EDT

Hi, Y'all!
    I must disagree at least partially with Max  here.  Freni was a
wondrously charming LYRIC soprano.  She was  NEVER an adequate Aida, and with great
effort became a barely adequate  Elisabetta, if that.  And when she tried to "go
home again" to more lyric  roles after her misadventures in vonKarajanland,
her voice was a shadow of the  miracle it had earlier been.   I heard her in
"Don Carlo" in Salzburg  in 1977, and was simply appalled, both at the steely
sound her voice had taken  on and at the thought that von K found this sound
appropriate for the  role.  von K never cared one whit about any singer's voice or
any  singer's career, so long as he got the sound (and, of course, the
lighting) he  fancied he wanted for his precious productions.  Ask Ricciarelli, ask
Carrerras, ask Baltsa.  (He TRIED to ruin Tomowa-Sintow and  Fischer-Dieskau,
too, but both of them were too smart.)  So being stuck  permanently with the
new uglier vocal timbre she had created for herself,  Freni figured she might
as well sing Elisabetta at the Met, too, rather than  admit publicly that
taking up the role in the first place had been a serious  mistake.  She was lucky:
 unlike Carreras, she saved her career in the  nick of time.
    Cheers,
    Dennis Ryan

In a message dated 3/30/2009 3:40:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time,