Subject: ARTISTS' EVENTS!!
From: Bob Dilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:49:37 +0100

Forsooth Opera Lovers!

Today we can celebrate the birthdays of E. Power Biggs (1906-1977)
and William Walton (1902-1983).

Also, Tchaikovsky's "Eugen Onegin" and Wagner's "Das Liebesverbot"
premiered on this date in 1879 and 1836, respectively.

Let us remember the following artists who passed away on this date:

Carl Orff (1895-1982)
Charles Alkan (1813-1880)
Eberhard Waechter (1929-1992)

The quote for today is: "Tell me, I forget, show me, I remember,
involve me, I understand."  Carl Orff.

As always, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our birthday boys for today and
all forum members who share their birthday with them.

ARTISTS' EVENTS salutes these artists for their enduring
contributions to the world of classical music.

In memory of the following peerless artists:

Tenor of all tenors Enrico Caruso (25 February 1873-2 Auguest 1921)
Primo tenore Mario Lanza (31 January 1921-7 October 1959)
Coloratura stupenda Erna Berger (19 October 1900-14 June 1990)
Soprano assoluta Maria Callas (3 December 1923-16 September 1977)
Contralto prima donna Marian Anderson (27 February 1897-8 April 1993)
Baritone unequaled Leonard Warren (21 April 1911-4 March 1960)
Primo basso Ezio Pinza (18 May 1892-9 May 1957)
Preeminent conductor Arturo Toscanini (25 March 1867-16 January 1957)

Pace e Gioia,

Bob Dilley
GAUDEAMUS IGITUR