Subject: Re: Tucker Sings Wagner- Prize Song- 1971-Youtube
From: Al **** <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:45:38 +0000

I don't hear "vinegary" There is a certain lack of confidence, and that is so unusual given that an abundance of confidence is/was always so evident in whatever Tucker sang. I would say that this recording (which seems to have been recorded in the open air) was something of a personal test for Tucker, to see just how well he would go in the rep'.

Don't let us forget that he was no spring chicken when he sang this, and he not only had a long history of avoiding this rep', who knows what inner feelings the experience stirred up within him, as well as singing in the German language, which, although it is not well pronounced,  is hardly "atrocious," as Alex claims.

I would love to have heard him trying  "In Fernum Land".

Regards,  Richard