Subject: Re: AC's question about Solit
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 29 Mar 2009 22:34:30 EDT

Hi, Y'all!
    I wholeheartedly agree that Wagner's own directions  and insights on the
"Ring" and its performance are not only valuable, but  indispensable to a
basic understanding of the cycle and to any creative  processes that could
possibly lead to a competent interpretation or staging  thereof.  That said, I have a
question--or, rather, questions.
    To what degree are the "wishes" of a composer re  the interpretation
and/or staging of his work holy writ?  Conductors and  directors of all stripes
have given us "versions" of all sorts of operas that  are WIDELY considered to
be highly competent but that have deliberately  violated--sometimes
grossly--the expressed wishes of the composer.  All  sorts of directors have given us
stagings of "Madama Butterfly" that  intentionally violate the expressed wishes
of Puccini.  No one (except me,  apparently) thinks that Mascagni's slow tempi
as recorded are truly right for  "Cav."  Opera houses throughout the world
have staged "Dialogues of the  Carmelites" in French, contrary to Poulenc's
stated intentions.  And as for  what Verdi might have thought of the Salzburg
"Traviata," well, let's not go  there.  So what makes Wagner sacrosanct?  And if
we're going to adhere  to Porges' written strictures on Wagner, don't we also
have to forego all  performances of "Parsifal" except at Bayreuth, as per
Wagner's clearcut  wish?  Let's not get caught up in the silly game of confusing
insightful  guides with holy gospel.
    Cheers,
    Dennis Ryan

In a message dated 3/29/2009 3:32:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,