Subject: Re: AC's Question about Solti
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Mar 2009 16:15:10 -0700

I don't think the problem of the size and makeup of the orchestra is with
other studio recordings, but with practice in the opera house.  And, of
course,  a number of recordings issued commercially are from "live"
sources.  But it's certainly true that Solti's studio based recording was
at pains to follow the orchestration properly.

Jim

***

====SNIP====

>Because Solti conducted the music that Wagner wrote, and because so few
>other recorded conductors have done this, it is obvious why Solti's is one
>of the few authentic performances.  One may disagree with Solti's pace, with
>his emphasis, with his balance and color, and with his interpretation, but
>one may not disagree with the fact that he conducted Wagner's own score,
>with Wagner's own instrumentation and with Wagner's own orchestration.
>
>Joe

You really only need two things: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If something is
stuck and it shouldn't be, use WD-40. If it's moving and it shouldn't, use
Duct Tape.

James Bodge  [log in to unmask]