Subject: Re: AC's Question about Solti
From: "gelfin @[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Mar 2009 08:50:13 -0800

“If you have never tasted Chocolate, you will not crave it.”

The Los Angeles recent production of Rheingold is damn good evidence.
While the conductor did as good as he could under the circumstances,
less than called for forces in the orchestra, the overall sound did not
approach what is called for in the score.

I would take exception with “...With the exception of the anvils (which I
think are extremely minor) and the harps (Wagner didn't know how to write
for harp...”; I find the anvils vital to the sonic picture of the
decent/accent sequences and the harp music, as written, very effective in
invoking the image of a rainbow bridge for the Gods.