Subject: Re: BURST into tears....
From: Kenneth Wolman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:49:47 -0500

Things that make me emotional wreckage?  Everyone above touched them, but I
might as well shoot my own dice.

The whole last act of Wozzeck, actually: Marie's despair, guilt, lullaby,
her unanswered prayer...the murder itself, one of the most horrid acts of
madness on any stage...Wozzeck going crazy in the tavern...the drowning and
the coldblooded reaction of the Doctor...and yes, then the "hip-hop!" of a
newly-made orphan who cannot understand.  "Du! Dein Mutter ist tod!" Oy.

The final trio ("Marie Therese...") of Rosenkavalier.  It could be sung by a
trio of Toons and still drop me in my tracks.

The last moments of Elektra.  I didn't "get it" until I saw Behrens: the
possession, the demon inside her that was all that was keeping her alive for
10 years, so that when the job is done, when the hatred drains out of her
through that dance that is more like a seizure, so does her life.  I saw it
found myself tearing up. I expect to cry at Rosenkavalier, but not at
Elektra.  Borkh, great as she was, didn't do that to me.

The final act of Cyrano.  Time and cast changes will tell whether this is
the Domingo-Radvanovsky Effect or whether it's the opera.  All I know is
those two flattened me.  In fact Radvanovsky is first on my list for Killing
Me Softly With Her Song...

...as Paul noted, the (approximately) last third of Suor Angelica, from the
revelation of the child's death through her suicide and the miracle.  I did
not see Radvanovsky do this because I wasn't in LA, but I heard it--and that
voice alone goes through me like a velvet knife. It just soars and can do
pretty much as it pleases.  Still...for production alone, I have seen the
video of Soviero in Madrid years back, and I watch that whenever I need to
have my eyes cleansed washed out.  The child, the age he would be in "real
life," appears in a white gown as a material presence, not an apparition.
Soviero's reaction was almost impossible to watch because her emotion was so
overwhelming. Then the child sinks down and dies in her arms..and she lays
down to die next to him. Right, a handkerchief won't help, you need a large
drapery.

And let us not forget Boheme, Butterfly, and a few other favorites...

Ken