Subject: Re: Salome
From: Paul Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:15:29 -0500

I was at the performance on 27th Nov and I was bitterly disappointed.
Orchestrally, it was a wonderful performance. The production looked much
fresher than in the past few years - maybe only better lighting.
However, the singers were at best second rate. Of course I was there to hear
Voigt: although not my favourite singer, her Fraus here were very good.
Unfortunately, up until the "Schlussszene" she was mostly inaudible - a lot
of the role is simply too low for her - and when we could hear her she just
screeched. It was awful. Also, her acting was so wooden - she also moved
very strangely, as if her joints were causing her problems, it was very
uncomfortable to watch. The "Schlussszene" was much less of a disaster as
expected from the first 75 Minutes but it wasn't good. The reaction of the
audience was positive however. There were only a very few isolated boos, but
the Vienna audience is very indiscriminate in its praise these days. My
facit is that Deborah Voigt made a mistake deciding to sing Salome in
Vienna. All of my friends and "Stehplatzbekannten" agree.

Yours P Watson