Subject: Sirius for oldl Duckies, and goslings
From: mrmyster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:59:50 -0700

Sirius Met broadcasts this week are certainly a cornucopia for the Old Duckies on here who,
like myself, were around in the 1950s for Met Opera. It is also good for young goslings who
would like to know more of that fabled time.
Zinka Milanov has been well-represented with her Gioconda and Trovatore from the early
1950s, more Trovatores to come up over the next few days.  La traviata today, and also
later in week, caught Steber in very fine form, indeed vocally refulgent, with her Violetta
one of her best sung - ever!  The Act I big scene was always "hard" according to Steber,
but she manages it well, the quick high-Cs in place, and in the balance of the opera her
vocalization is both rich and highly expressive. Merrill is her equal; alas, di Stefano sounds
a shade pipsqueeky against these  vocal heavyweights, and he makes a silly mistake.
And on top of that, Margaret Harshaw comes through with an early Tannhauser Elisabeth
that is quite beautiful, the show also enhanced by the splendid singing of Ramon Vinay;
we have talked in recent times about hearing "a warm Latin voice" in Wagner (Domingo,
who else!), but here folks is the real thing. Maybe Vinay was not the most idiomatic
Wagnerian but his vocalization of this Tannhauser I found stunning, even elegant.
Thank you, Sirius; more please! :)
jim/santa fe