Subject: Re: Strauss Operas
From: Tim Lockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:12:01 -0500

What has been so interesting about this thread is people clearly like a
mixture of Strauss operas (only a few like all of them). Personally I tend
to like the 'fantasy' operas not so much for the story-lines which are often
fairly odd, but because I simply prefer the music. So Daphne comes high up,
but only the Guden, King, Wunderlich version from Vienna in 1964 under Bohm
since the opera needs two high tenors on top form and this recording really
has them. I also like the Danae recording with Rysanek (1952 I think), and
the recent met performances of Helena.
Amongst the others I love Salome (a number of different versions, but
Rysanek live is pretty special); Elektra (the Nilsson/Solti is a must have
for me) and Frau (all time favourite is the Met 1966 broadcast with the
wonderful cast of Rysanek, King, Ludwig, and Berry under Bohm). Ariadne is
ok but not particularly an opera I listen to much, ditto Arabella.
Rosenkavalier has nice moments but (heresy?) I don't really like all of it;
Capriccio and Intermezzo I am fairly cold on, but I quite like the music of
Guntram, even if the story is quite silly.
So like everyone else posting to this thread I am Strauss fan, and perhaps
in time will come to appreciate Capriccio and Intermezzo as much as those I
currently love.
Tim