Subject: Re: Strauss Operas
From: "John D. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2008 07:38:36 -0800

I like this thread! I remember the first time I heard a recording of Salome (my first ever experience with Strauss), I wondered how many folks were killed in the train wreck...that's really what it sounded like to me way back then. Then, I had the opportunity to work on a production of Ariadne and really fell in love with that piece...and then spending summers in Santa Fe introduced me to Die schweigsame Frau, Arabella, Intermezzo, Elektra, Egytian Helen and Daphne. I discovered Salome and Rosenkavalier in Met performances. Rosenkavalier and Elektra remain my favorites, but I found good things to admire in each!
This thread made me dig out my Ludwig/Berry cd of Strauss highlights...the Elektra is particularly stunning!

As an aside...does anyone remember Gene Boucher, who sang comprimario roles at the Met for many years? I purchased his score of Salome at a Met Chorus fundraiser many, many years ago. Along with a beautiful Sir Peter J. Hall color costume sketch for I Puritani...it took me years to save the money to have it perfectly framed!
John