Subject: Re: Singer's Fees
From: LT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2008 01:03:06 -0500

It would seem that a singer's best bet, at least so far as
agents' fees, is to be spouse-managed,  as were Corelli and
several others.   In this way, the money (for this expense, if not
any others) 'stays in the family'.

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:35:27 EST, [log in to unmask]
wrote:

>Some facts in support of this.  of the gross amount recieved,
> 1. Taxes  20 -50% depending on which country. Countries
which  tax the most
>often have a per diem that  partially defrays room and
board.
> 2. Manager's fee, usually 10 %. A manager gets a fee for
every  contract the
>singer has.
> 3. Agent's fee usually 10% . An agent gets a cut only for the
contracts for
>the countries he procures contracts for. Sometimes a deal is
worked out
>between the manager and the agent whereby the total owed
is 15%. This  is only for
>opera. Managers receive 20% for concerts.
> 4. Publicist $1500 to $3,000 per month
> 5. Tax accountant, sometimes for more than one country,
$100  -$200 per
>hour. Some International singers are required to pay  taxes
quarterly.
> 6..Entertainment attorney, $200 per hour average
> 7. Voice lessons and coachings $65 to $150 per hour
> 8. For women, a decent concert gown is at least $3,000 a
pop. Tuxes  for men
>cost less, but a good one is not cheap
> 9. Accompanist fees vary, but a high end one may take up to
30% of a  fee
> 10. Hotel residence or apartment fees average about $ 2-
4,000 a  month
>depending how expensive the city is, and we are not talking
five star  hotels which
>cost considerably more.
> 11. Photo shoots.  A high end one can cost thousands of
dollars, especially
>if stylists are involved.  low end one can cost as  little as
$1500, but the
>difference in quality often shows.
> 12, the purchase of a piano is necessary, and though it is
usually a  one
>time buy, it has to be maintained. Pianos are expensive. The
initial  purchase
>price costs thousands.
> 13. Scores and recordings, this is a minor expense, but most
singers  spend
>$200 to $1,000 depending on their needs.
> 14. Specialized medical expenses: When a singer becomes
ill, they  have to
>become very careful what they put in their bodies and who
they  see.  Where a
>normal person would merely see a family practitioner or
ride out a cold, a
>singer may need to see a laryngologist.  A look at the  vocal
folds with video
>laryngyscope can be $500 a pop.Where a normal person
may  simply need to use a
>cane for a while, a singer may need to see an  orthopedist
that specializes in
>sports and ballet injuries. These things cost  more.
> 15. Educational expenses. Singers often need to continue
language  studies
>either in intense short courses, correspondence courses, or
private  lessons.
>This varies considerably in price and duration.
>
> Now for a high powered super star with high visibility, the
cost goes  up
>dramatically. Now we get into a personal assistant which
often becomes
>necessary,
>  Entertainment attorney fees rise considerably, publicity
fees  also
>increase, as do the number of photo shoots, concert gowns
etc Opera  recordings do
>not make a profit, but they do provide extra publicity.
Believe it  or not, a
>singer of  this type takes home a lot less money than a
house  star who only
>travels occasionally or one who has avoided the marketed
career  approach. Most
>singers are struggling with mortgage payments like
everyone else,  provided
>they have been lucky enough to buy a home or an apartment.
Young  singers
>breaking onto the international circuit are lucky to break
even. Most go  into debt
>the first years. Some are able to get a grant or award
designed for  this
>juncture at a young singer's career when the choice between
feeding the  family and
>pursuing the career become serious issues. Sometimes
important talent  drops
>out at this point. The Richard Tucker Award and the Beverly
Sills award  come
>to mind as representatives of these kinds of awards to
particularly  promising
>young professionals
>
> There are other extra necessary costs to international
singers  whether high
>powered or not that are created by career demands. For
example, sometimes
>for family continuity, the singer may need to  bring their
family with them on
>occasion. This costs money. Sometimes it  becomes
necessary to hire a traveling
>nanny. Then there are  international long distance calls back
home, agents,
>managers, publicists,  fed x expenses etc. This can also be
very expensive.

> Then there is the shady side that some singers pay for such
as  claques,
>anti claques, newpaper critic advantage, conductor
advantage and  various other
>shady dealings. One singer related a woeful tale in Naples
where  so many of
>these things were in effect, when her agent turned to her
and said,
>"But my dear, you are the one who is going home with your
money."
> There are also tales of unscrupulous agents charging a lot
more under  the
>table.
>
> On the issue of salaries being public domain, all non profit
organizations
>must maintain transparency to the public, the government
and  donors, though
>most opera companies and singers would prefer that fees
remain  as discrete as
>possible.
>
> When a person makes a career choice that is in the public
eye, that is a
>price that is paid. As bad as it gets it isn't nearly  as bad as
it can get with
>politicians and pop and film stars, where  paparazzi lay in
wait to catch
>super stars without makeup to send to AOL  and the
National Enquirer, and
>research every tiny peccadillo since  the day they were born.
>
> John Rahbeck

>.
>

>In a message dated 12/1/2008 2:32:52 A.M. Pacific Standard
Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>It has  been pointed out that singers have to meet various
expenses -
>employees and  business-related expenses - out of their
fees, so discussing
>their fees is  the equivalent to discussing how much is paid
to the
>web-design firm or the  contract cleaning company - it
doesn't give much
>indication of an  individual's take-home pay. What is
dangerous is when
>people are swift to  criticise the amount without asking the
right  questions.