Subject: robert nagy RIP
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:26:23 EST

In a message dated 12/7/2008 7:04:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I'm  sorry to learn of this. I am sure I saw Nagy hundreds of times. He had
the  biggest male voice I ever heard.

I had a nice experience of him.  For years I had a tape of the bdcst  of the
Boston Ariadne with Sills, and I was amazed at his Bacchus on it because  I
had heard him on Met bdcsts and a few recordings in only very small  roles.  (I
later got a very poor VHS tape of the perf. and then a very good  commercial
DVD).  Then on line I met a young man who said while in college  he had been
one of Robert's voice students.  I mentioned how much I admired  his Bacchus and
that I would like to write to him accordingly.  I did so,  but I never heard
from him, nor did I expect to.  Then suddenly a few years  later, I received a
phone call from his wife, who said that he had been quite  ill but that he
was better and that he wanted her to thank me for my  letter.  Then a couple of
years ago, I heard from his son, who also thanked  me and told me about his
father's web site.  He also said that his father  was a virtual recluse because
of his ill health.  And then I read the posts  by Martin and Ed.  I have lost
the site address, but here is his  obituary.  I still wonder why he did not
have a bigger career.
Bill Clayton

_http://www.cleveland.com/obituaries/index.ssf/2008/11/robert_nagy_metroplitan
_operas.html_