Subject: Re: Met Tristan und Isolde broadcast
From: Donald Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 Dec 2008 09:27:44 -0500

In the house, most of Act Three sounded like one of
those lengthy orchestral *tone poems* beloved of
Richard Strauss and others; there was simply that
little to be heard from the underpowered singers who
may have just as well done their roles as mimes -
until the arrival of Isolde and King Marke who resumed
the vocal part of the performance.  I think Barenboim
is leading a beautifully refined and detailed interpretation
of the work which sounds at times, the
Prelude to Act One for example, and the introduction to Act
Two, somewhat subdued, but I never felt he was
doing this to highlight the vocalists who, Lehman
especially,  were often swamped. My experience with this
opera goes back to the days of Melchior and Traubel, so I
expect very little from today's Wagnerian
singers; I just wanted to hear what a celebrated conductor
other than Levine would do with it. I wonder
if he's recorded EIN HELDENLEBEN . . . .

Donald Kane