Subject: Re: Strauss Operas
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:16:42 -0500

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Jon Alan Conrad <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ...I've come to love Frau
> enormously, but it didn't happen quickly. I had to think about what the story
> meant to me (as opposed to what it may have meant for Hofmannthal)...

Which reminds me that years ago, when I read the Hofmannsthal-Strauss
correspondence, I was kind of shocked.  My impression was that the two were on
opposite sides of the ring, and somehow, whatever Strauss did, Hofmannsthal
would eventually praise.  He seemed thankful that someone would set his work.

After ROSENKAVALIER, it seems to me (from my memory) that Hofmannsthal was
almost exclusively interested in supernatural things.  He relishes what
supernatural magic a character or scene can convey and almost never talks
about their human aspects.  Somehow Strauss always seemed to hone on
humanity and not the supernatural ones.  From this point of view, the
correspondence is less valuable than one would expect.

Am I misremembering, or is this dichotomy well-known?

     blog:  http://www.nypl.org/blogs/bob-kosovsky
   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users