Subject: Re: Three Canadians come and conquer DC:Platts, Polegato and Sharon
From: Leslie Barcza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:39:56 -0500

I'd like to add a footnote to [log in to unmask] writing about Brett
Polegato in DC, who said   >I adored the Wolf, especially the way Mr.
Polegato used an intense crescendo on "die Pein" (the pain). At the start,
he looked like a scary Edgar Allen Poe as his stare was scary and his 19th
century appearance (neck length hair and long sideburns) really helped to
set the mood. Some of his singing had an almost Wagnerian schmertz-intensity
to it.

The past two seasons we've had decidedly world-weary portrayals from
Polegato,  Onegin last season, and a recent Don Giovanni.  The voice is
lovely, the acting wonderfully deep.  Both productions were concept
approaches that didn't interfere with good singing & musical values. He has
a wonderful lyric line that lends itself to passionate or ironic turns of
phrase (he was very funny in DG).  Instead of mugging, he understates the
facial and bodily dimensions while singing, then lets us see his feelings
when he's not singing, doing wonderful reactions that remind me a bit of
Gobbi.  He did an acrobatic move in Onegin that took me by surprise. It's a
simple and obvious thing, when you think about it (don't act so much while
you're singing), that encourages you to simply listen while he is singing.
But we don't need a lot of encouragement, when the voice sounds this good.

 Leslie Barcza in Toronto     [log in to unmask]